Couple of days ago Apple announced larger core tvOS apps
Now Accepting Larger tvOS Binaries
The size limit of a tvOS app bundle has increased from 200 MB to 4 GB, so you can include more media in your submission and provide a complete, rich user experience upon installation. Also, tvOS apps can use On-Demand Resources to host up to 20 GB of additional content on the App Store.
This could mean higher capacity 5th generation Apple TV
iOS has supported 4GB since February 2015 with following caveats:
- If you are supporting MinimumOSVersion is less than 7.0: maximum of 80 MB for the total of all __TEXT sections in the binary.
- If you are supporting MinimumOSVersion 7.x through 8.x: maximum of 60 MB per slice for the __TEXT section of each architecture slice in the binary.
- If you are supporting MinimumOSVersion is 9.0 or greater: maximum of 400 MB for the size of the Mach-O binary file.
- There is a 100 MB limit for over-the-air (LTE, cellular, WWAN) downloads. This limit is not imposed for WLAN/Wifi downloads
tvOS apps and Pyze
Also See: Engaging tvOS app users with Push Notifications & In-app Messaging on Apple TV using Pyze.
App Thinning (iOS, tvOS, watchOS)
The store and operating system optimize the installation of iOS, tvOS, and watchOS apps by tailoring app delivery to the capabilities of the user’s particular device, with minimal footprint.
This optimization, called app thinning, lets you create apps that use the most device features, occupy minimum disk space, and accommodate future updates that can be applied by Apple. Faster downloads and more space for other apps and content provides a better user experience.
Learn more about the three components of app thinning
- slicing (iOS and tvOS),
- bitcode (iOS optional, tvOS, watchOS), and
- on-demand resources (iOS and tvOS).